Tuesday, December 6, 2005

PART 14

I walked into my old room, where Ali's old crib and my old crib were set up plus Ali's old Bassinett, which had been in storage for the past eight years

 

I didn't realize how much i needed help because trying to put three babies to sleep is alot easier with two people instead of just one, Luckily Bailey was exhausted and fell asleep but Maggie and Olivia were determinded to stay up all night.

 

I put the girls  in the my bed and tried to read them a story but i was so tired it was difficult to see the pages.

 

"Mama, where Daddy?" Maggie asked

 

I had been dreading this question

 

"Well, Honey, Daddy was hurt and he's going to be away for a little bit." I said trying to downplay it

 

"Daddy gots an owie?" Maggie asked concerned

.

"Yes, HoneyBunny, Daddy has an owie." I said," But soon you can come and vist him, he'll be so excited to see you, Bailey and Olivia."

 

"Yayyy!" Maggie clapped her hands

 

"But for now, it's bedtime." I said picking her up and putting her in the crib," I love you baby."

"Love you Mama". Maggie said as her eyes were closing

 

I fell asleep with Olivia in my arms, worrying about what was going to happen next.

 

Over the next few weeks , i worked it out with Kathy so that her, me and George would always be with John, Kathy would take mornings, George would take afternoons and i'd take the night shifts.

 

My family and our friends  was great about helping me with the kids and Andy helped me move our stuff from New York to Boston, i had to sell the house because i couldn't keep up with the bills from the house and John's medical  bills, so i sold it to some couple whom had had seen the house from the realtor while i was in Boston, so i didn't even know who bought it. it killed me to sell that house

 

It was now two days  before christmas eve and Maggie's third  birthday, we were planning on our usual birthday bash, except instead of doing it the week before her birthday we were going to do it the week AFTER christmas.

 

I had decorated John's hospital room with pictures of our wedding, pictures of the kids and everything that was familiar to him so that when he did wake up, he would recongize the things he loved most before his accident.

 

So like i said before, it was two days before christmas eve, i was sitting with John, planning on the food we were going to have at the party and what kinds of games to play with the kids, when it happened.

 

John's hand twitched, just a little bit i wasn't sure if i was seeing things so i went back to my list when his hand twitched again.

 

"John.. ?" I called,  this is what i wanted for Christmas Santa, just for my husband to wake up

 

"Nik?" John whispered, grabbing my hand

 

"Oh my god! John!" I shot up from the chair

 

"Nik, water please?" John said licking his lips

 

"Of course." I filled up a dixie cup with water and put the water in his mouth

 

"Mmm, good." John said,"Nik, what day is it?"

 

"Umm, it's December 22nd," I said

 

"What?!" John shot up

 

"Careful, you'll hurt yourself worse." I said crying

 

"Why are you crying?" John said asking holding my hand

 

"I was so afraid i'd lose you." I said looking down

 

"Hey, i'm not going anywhere, remember there's no place like home." John said,"come here and sit beside me."

 

I tentatively laid down beside him

 

"Where are the kids?" John said looking around

 

"With Annie, my mother, your mother Stacey and Auntie Diane Christmas shopping." I said

 

"How are they?" John asked taking my hand

 

"they're ok, they miss you like crazy, Bailey keeps yelling Daddy whenever he sees your picture or when we talk about you. Maggie keeps asking when Daddy's owies are going to heal  and well Olivia is mastering on getting her fist into her mouth without  choking." I said

 

"I've missed so much."  John said

 

"Not too much, although my mother did teach Bailey a few choice phrases that we'll have to unteach him later,i'll bring them by later." I said putting my head on John's good shoulder

 

"Nah, don't bother because i'll be out of here soon enough and we'll be back in New York hopefully for New Year's eve." John said kissing my hand

 

"Oh John, honey i hate to break it to you, but we can't go back to New York because of your knee, your going to need months of physical therapy." I said not mentioning i had to sell the house, i didn't want him to have a complete nervous breakdown

 

"Are you serious? Oh damn!" John said

 

"I'm sorry," I said

 

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault, " John said,"So where are you and the munchkins staying?"

 

"With my parents." I said watching the ceiling

 

"Oh fun." John said laughing

 

"Oh yeah, apparently my mother thinks i can't even take care of my own babies and my my father is trying to teach Bailey about World War ll, whenever my father stops to take a breath, Bailey yells "UH OH!" and Olivia is becoming quite the snuggler, she waits for me to pick her up and she immedately curls up." I said

 

"Is she getting big?" John asked

 

"Yup,she's just like her Daddy, eats everything and i'm trying to teach her to sit up, but she's just not quite getting it yet." I said

 

"That's my girl," John said turning toward me,"does she have hair yet?"

 

"Yup, it's thick and dark black". I said

 

"I miss them so much, i can't believe that i missed nearly month and a half of their lives" John said frustrated

 

"I know, but your awake now and you won't miss anymore." I said kissing his nose

 

"Ow!" John said wincing in pain

 

"Sorry!" I said forgetting his nose was broken

 

"It's all right" John said scrunching up his face

 

"Well, i should get home and put the kids to sleep," I said starting to get up

 

"Don't go please". John begged

 

"Ok i'll stay," I said

 

We fell asleep and didn't wake up until the nurse came in, to check his vitals the next morning, then i had to go home because i needed to change my clothes and to  tell everyone John was awake.

 

"I'm going to bring the kids in tonight, ok?" I said getting off the bed

 

"Yup," John said watching the tv

 

"Do you want anything from the house?" I said putting on my jacket

 

"Yeah, my portable CD player," John said

 

"Ok, i love you." I said kissing him

 

"I love you too." John said

 

I drove home in my father's old car, smiling for the first time since this whole thing happened. When i pulled into the driveway, i threw the car into park and ran up the stairs.

 

"Where the hell have you been?" My father said putting a pancake on Maggie's plate

 

"At the hospital," I said picking up Bailey and swinging him around

 

"Careful, he just ate!" My mother said throwing her hands up

 

"Maggie,guess where we're going tonight?" I said completely ignoring my mother

 

Maggie's eyes widened

 

"We're gonna go visit Daddy!" I said

 

"yayyy!" Maggie clapped her hands

 

"Do you think it's wise to take them where their father is lying in a coma?" Pop asked stuffing a pancake in his mouth

 

"He's awake! he woke up last night!" I said dancing in the kitchen with Maggie and Bailey

 

"What?" Masaid stopping short

 

"He woke up last and we talked for hours,it was so amazing." I said spinning Maggie around

 

"Oh my god, Nik that's incredible!" Pop said picking up Bailey and joining in our dance party

 

"I know, my christmas wish came true." I said putting Maggie down,"I've got to get Olivia,"

 

"She's still sleeping, she had a rough night last night." Ma said

 

"What happened?" I instantly became panicked

 

"She's got a little cold, and the sniffles." Ma said sitting down at the table

 

"Did you take her to the doctor's?" I asked putting my hands on hips

 

"Of course! don't be stupid." Ma said helping Bailey into his chair 

 

"Please do not use that phrase in front of my children." I said putting Maggie into her booster seat,"So what did the doctor say?"

 

"He said to give her some cough medicine and that if it doesn't work by Monday, to go back and he'll take from there," Ma said cutting up Maggie's pancake. 

 

"Is it working?" I said putting a piece of pancake in Bailey's mouth

 

"Yeah, but it keep Olivia up all night to the point we moved Maggie and Bailey in Mine and Pop's room and i stayed with the baby all night." Ma said,"Maggie please sit down in the chair right"

 

Maggie was attempting to slide down the chair and on the floor

 

"Come on Mags, sit up and eat because we need to get dressed so we can go to the park then we're going to get Daddy a surprise and afterwards we're going to go eat lunch then come back for a nap and then we're going to go visit Daddy." I said 

 

"It sounds like you guys are going to have a busy day," My father commented

 

"Yup, so you guys need to eat." I said opening my bedroom door quietly but when i looked in on Olivia, she was wide awake.

 

"Hi Livvy!! Hi Babygirl!" I said picking up the baby,"Did you miss Mama, cause  i missed you!" I said putting her on the floor and changing her then blew raspberries on her belly, which always got a smile but this time she laughed!

 

"Oh my god! you laughed!" I said clapping my hands,

 

I changed her into a jeans and a purple t-shirt then , i put her in her swing chair and gave her bottle and sat down with Maggie and Bailey. .

 

"So what should we get Daddy as a surprise?" I asked

 

"puppy?" Maggie asked drinking from her sippy cup

 

"Good Idea!,"I praised her," Bay, what do you think Daddy would like for a present?" 

 

"Truck!!" Bailey yelled banging his plate

 

"Somehow, i don't think you can wrap that" Ma said picking up the dishes

 

"Ok guys, let's get dressed!" I said picking up Bailey 

 

Maggie ran into the room and started digging through the suitcases and pulled out overalls and a blue shirt

 

"Here Mama, " Maggie said proudly

 

"Good Job, now see if you can put the shirt on by yourself," I said taking off Bailey's pajama bottoms and putting him in jeans

 

"Ok" Maggie then started to take off her pajama top but was having trouble with the buttons

 

"Do you need help?" I asked helping Bailey with his shirt

 

"No No" Maggie said then somehow got the shirt over her head  and then put the other shirt on but got her head stuck in the arm sleeve,"Help!"

 

"Come here," I said laughing then straightened her out, "there's Maggie!"

 

"Yayy!" Maggie jumped up and down

 

"Ok guys, go see Nana and she'll help you put your jackets on." I said opening the door then got myself dressed  and called Gina and Annie to come to the park with us.

 

Annie and Gina met us at the park and we took turns going on the equipment with the kids.

 

"Mama, slide!" Maggie yelled from the bridge

 

"Ok, " I said pushing Bailey on the slide,"Auntie Annie, will you push Bailey." 

 

"Sure, Ok Bailey-Boy, want to go really high?" Annie asked

 

"Yah, Yah!!" Bailey yelled

 

"Here we go!." Annie said pulling back the swing and letting it go

 

Bailey giggled

I climbed up the wooden ladder and picked up Maggie then sat down on the slide

 

"Are you ready, Maggie?"I asked putting her on my lap

 

"Yup." Maggie said 

 

I pushed off with my one free hand and we slide down the cold metal slide

 

"Oh Boy, wasn't that fun?" I said once we got to the bottom

 

"Sandbox." Maggie said climbing off my lap 

 

"Ok Ok" I said following her,"Auntie Annie, Auntie Gina, why don't you come over here?"

 

 

 

No comments: