Saturday, December 3, 2005

Part 13

"Say Hi Aunt Stacey" I said

 

"Tacey Tacey!" Bailey said as Stacey kissed his head.

 

"Stacey, take him for a second while i go get Maggie." I said handing her Bailey

 

"Mamama" Bailey cried

 

"I'll be right back,Sweetie". I said walking out of the room and over to the nurses station

 

"Hi, I'm looking for my daughter, Maggie, she was brought here after my husband was involved in an accident." I said to the nurse

 

"What's the last name?" The nurse asked

 

"Distefino" I said

 

"I'm sorry, we have no record of a Margaret Distefino being admitted." The nurse checking her computer

 

"That's because her name is Maggie, not Margaret M*A*G*G*I*E" I said 

 

"Oh Ok, oh here she is. she's in room 213, down the hall." The woman said

 

"Thank you." I said walking away then muttered to myself,"Are you kidding me, it's six letters?"

 

I found the room but just before i opened the door, i heard Maggie yelling

 

"NO NO NO NO!" Maggie screamed

 

"Nurse, i think we need to sedate her" a voice said

 

"The hell you will" I said opening the door

 

"Excuse me, who are you?" the doctor said

 

"Your worse nightmare, I'm her mother and you will not be sedating her, i'm taking her home." I said picking up Maggie

 

"Mama!!" Maggie said

 

"She needs to be examined," the doctor said

 

"Fine, but i want a another doctor preferably one with a bedside manner that can deal with children." I said

 

"Fine if that's what you want." The Doctor, " Nurse, please find Dr.Leiya"

 

"Is that the doctor who also examined Bailey Distefino?"I asked

 

"I believe so"  The doctor said sitting in a chair

 

"Hi, I'm Doctor Katherine Leiya" a short woman came into the office,"what's the seems to be the trouble."

 

"My son and daughter were brought here after my husband was admitted here following a car accident, Why were they separated and why is it necessary to sedate a child who doesn't want to be examined?"." I said sitting on the table

 

"First of all,i'm terribly sorry about your husband,secondly, Both Maggie and Bailey were only separated for a little bit whilethey were being examined, and we never sedate a child, especially without the mother's consent. Doctor Andrews,i'd like to see you in my office afterwards please." Dr.Leiya said

 

"Ok now is there anything wrong with Maggie and Bailey?" I asked letting Maggie play with my cell phone  

 

"Bailey is perfect, no broken bones or concussions, when the firefighters arrived on the scene, he was buckled into his safety seat." Dr.Leiya

 

"And Maggie?" I asked

 

"She got some minor whiplash because the carseat was thrown forward a little, it was buckled but not as a tightly as Bailey's, i'm going to write a prescription for a minor painkiller that can be crushed up into a bottle or sippy cup. other than that they are in perfect health, your very lucky, Mrs Destifino, you have two very strong  fighters." Dr.Leiya said pulling a lollipop out of her pocket.

 

"Look Mags," I said as she took the lollipop,"can I take them home please?"

 

"Of course." Dr.Leiya said,"Maggie, come back and vist me ok?"

 

"kk" Maggie said

 

"Thank you so much," I said climbing off the table

 

The other doctor followed Dr.Leiya out, the other doctor looked scared

 

"Mama, i gots a owie" Maggie said holding up her hand

 

"You do?" i said, "do you want Mama kiss and make it better?" i kissed her hand

 

"Betta" Maggie said

 

"Ok honeybunny, let's go get Bailey." I said picking her up,"Oh one day with your grandmother and your so heavy!" 

 

We walked out to the hallway of the NICU, where Stacey was showing Bailey a fish tank

 

"Ok guys,your gonna go with Auntie Stacey then home with Nonie and Pop". I said handing Stacey Maggie

 

"Are you sure you want us to leave before you see John". Stacey said struggling to carry both kids

 

"I'm positve, Don't forget Maggie's allergic to strawberries, Bailey's allergic to peanuts and Olivia can only have Apple Juice before bedtime." I said

 

"Gotcha Mom". Stacey said getting into the elevator.

 

I took a deep breath and went over to see the babies in the nursery before i went down to see my husband.

 

I went down to the elevators and then walked to John's room.Before i walked into the room, Kathy came out

 

"Nicole, before you go in and see him. i want to warn you his face is quite bruised and he's on alot of painkillers." Kathy said standing in front of me

 

"Ok" I said then followed her into the room

 

John was lying motionless on the bed, his normal face the size of an egg was now the size of a watermelon, he had cuts and bruises all over his face, his leg was in traction and his arm was lying across his chest.

 

"Oh my god" I said crying again, i walked slowly over to him,"Hi Honey"

 

"Excuse me?" a voice said, it was an orderly

 

"Yes?" George said

 

"I just wanted to give you Jonathan's personal effects". The orderly said holding up a plastic bag

 

"Thank you" Kathy said reaching for the bag

 

"Can i see that bag?" I asked

 

"Of course". Kathy gave me the bag.

 

I dumped the bag on the bed, out came John's wallet, his wedding ring, his cell phone and the gold chain i gave him on our first wedding anniversary.

 

"His wedding ring" I said holding up the silver band that never even left his hand when he worked,"i can't do this" i sat down and sobbed,"Please John wake up,we need you"

 

"Nicole, i think we're going to go now,but we'll be back later" George said

 

"Ok, see you" I said

 

After they left, i sat there and sobbed for hours until i passed out. When i woke up, i realized ineeded to call everyone to tell them what happened, I reached over John and grabbed the phone, i called Annie first because i knew she'd tell the world.

 

"Hello?" Annie said

 

"Hi Honey" I said sitting back down

 

"Babygirl! how was your thanksgiving?!" Annie asked

 

"It was interesting..." I trailed

 

"How so?" Annie asked

 

"John was in a car accident" I said trying not to cry

 

"What? is he ok? where are you?" Annie said stunned

 

"No, he's unconscious, he's got broken bones and concussions, we're in Boston right now and it's all my fault." I said crying

 

"How is it your fault?" Annie asked after a few minutes

 

"I told him to go, he took the kids to his mother after i inisisted and then he got hit by a drunk driver." I said

 

"Are the kids ok?" Annie said

 

"Maggie and Bailey are fine, the baby was with me." I said

 

"Ok that's it, i'm coming to Boston." Annie said

 

"That's sweet but you don't have to, my mother will help me out." I said

 

"Yeah, right you can't even be in the same room with each other for more than 20 minutes." Annie pointed out,"so instead of Arguing with me, just say, i can't wait to you see you Annie"

 

"I can't wait to see you, Annie" I repeated.

 

"Good, do you need anything from your apartment?" Annie asked

 

"Yeah, all the clothes you can cram into the two suitcases in my closet." I said realizing i didn't pack enough clothes for any of us.

 

"Ok, anything else?" Annie asked

 

"Some toys for the kids because we didn't bring that much stuff." I said

 

"Gotca,ok so i'll be there as soon as i can."Annie hung up

 

I called Vin then Gina and finally Stevanne, they all said they'd come out as soon as they could. We have such great friends.

 

"John, remember when we watched the Wizard of Oz, with Maggie and Bailey, Olivia was only a couple days old, remember how we went around quoting lines from the movie and how you said, if we ever got scared just to say "there's no place like home. please John, just remember, there's no place like home please John." I begged him

 

I wanted him to argue him to argue with me, to say something so i knew he was in there but it was no use.

 

"When your ready to talk, i'm ready to listen." I said as if i were talking to one of my kids, i leaned forward and kissed my husband's swollen lips.,"I'm leaving but i'll be back tomorrow, i love you." I stood up and before i left, i took his wedding ring and put it on the chain around my neck.

 

I realized once i got outside, i didn't have a car because john had crashed mine and Stacey had taken the kids in her car.it was going to cost me at least 100 bucks to get home, fabulous i'm nearly a widow and now i have to find my own way home.

 

I whipped out my cell phone and started to dial 411 when someone beeped at me, i realized it was Andy.

 

"Hi, what are you doing here?" I asked getting into his truck

 

"Well Stace got back to the house and realized you didn't have a car so i waited for a bit then called the hospital and they said you were getting ready to leave so here i am." Andy said starting up the truck

 

"You are too sweet." I said

 

"Yeah, i know, So how is he?" Andy asked turning onto the highway

 

"He's in rough shape, I'm not gonna jerk you around, there's a good chance he'll be in there til next year and he's  going to need months of physcial  therapy." I said fiddling with the radio

 

"Oh wow Nik, what're you going to do?" Andy asked

 

"I've got to get a job around here and find a house because i can't live at home with my mother, father and three kids, it'll be too cramped," I said leaning back against the seat

 

"What about the house in New York?" Andy asked turning off the highway  

 

"I guess i'll sell it, which is too bad because i love that house," i said

 

"Can you afford to move back to Boston?" Andy asked turning into the driveway of my mother and father's house

 

"Yeah with the sale of the house and both banks accounts, i think i manage it," I said reaching for my purse.

 

"I would wait a little bit before you actually sell the house." Andy said shutting off the car

 

"I know, but i have to be realistic, especially for Maggie Bailey and Olivia." I said starting to get out of the car.

 

"What would John say if he knew what you were planning on doing?" Andy asked grabbing my arm

 

"He'd tell me to do whatever it took to make sure that the kids were taken care of regardless of what the cost is, i know he'd do the same for me if the situation was reversed." I said climbing out of the truck "Thanks for the ride."

 

I walked into the house, trying to be quiet because i figured everyone was asleep but it was useless because everyone was awake.

 

"Hi, What's everyone doing up?" I asked picking up Bailey who was rolling his truck all over the floor.

 

"We wanted to wait up for you." Ma said holding Olivia

 

"You didn't have to, besides i think these guys should be in bed, it's after 11." I said checking my watch

 

"Well, they wanted to wait for you." My father said bouncing Maggie on his lap

 

"Pop, they're two,one and six weeks old , they have no concept of time yet." I said sitting on the chair

 

"Well neither do you" My mother said

 

"Ma, please i've had a long day, come on guys let's go to bed." I said standing up, putting Bailey on the floor and picking up Olivia, then picked up Bailey again,"let's go Mags".

 

Maggie kissed my father goodnight and toddled over

 

"Say Night Night Nana and Pop." I said

 

"Night Nannie, night night Poppy". Maggie said sticking her finger in her mouth

 

"Night Maggie, night Bailey." My mother said

 

 

 

No comments: